Thursday, March 6, 2008

“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

This past week a friend was sharing from Jeremiah 29, and I remembered a time in my life when verses 11-14 became very real. It was July 1996, though in some ways, it seems like it was just yesterday. I had just finished another day of looking for teacher candidates for the coming school year. This was my first year as Administrator of Fairview Christian School, and I needed to fill four full-time teaching positions. A task that seemed not too terribly difficult in May, but now in July seemed overwhelming. To say I was frustrated would have been an understatement. I was praying, asking many questions, and feeling more than just disappointed. Everything I tried, everywhere I looked seemed to come up empty.

I left Fairview, and was on my way home to play tag-team parenting with my wife. It was almost time for her shift at the hospital and it was my turn to take care of our two boys (Jeff was not born until 1997). As I walked in the door, she was busy preparing to leave. She gave me some last minute instructions what I could make for dinner, who had just had a nap, etc., I listened, but all the while, I was lost in thought; perplexed by the obstacles that stood before me.

Oswald Chambers states, “It is easier to serve or work for God without a vision and without a call, because then you are not bothered by what He requires. Common sense, covered with a layer of Christian emotion, becomes your guide. You may be more prosperous and successful from the world’s perspective, and will have more leisure time, if you never acknowledge the call of God. But once you receive a commission from Jesus Christ, the memory of what God asks of you will always be there to prod you on to do His will. You will no longer be able to work for Him on the basis of common sense.”

Only a few months prior had I discerned that God wanted me to stay at Fairview. I felt led to take on this new unexpected assignment of ministry, and to wait patiently for Him to work in and through me, but now I was feeling at the end of my rope. Where were the resources that He promised? Why would He ask me to fill this position and not provide? It was one of those times, when I felt as though everything was going to come crashing down around me. It sure would be easier I thought to go and do something else. Let someone else solve these problems, face these challenges – I must have heard God wrong. It was not supposed to be like this!

As I sat in our rocking chair, praying, my son Ryan toddled over and indicated that he wanted to be held. I placed him on my lap facing forward, and held him close as I continued praying in earnest. Suddenly, he turned and stood up on my lap. I really did not pay much attention, but just then, he stretched his small arms around my neck, rested his head on my shoulder, and began to pat my back with his little hand. It was exactly at that moment that the words from Jeremiah 29 came ringing into my head. It was an incredible moment that I will never forget. God had sent encouragement to me through my little three-year-old son. As tears rolled down my cheeks, I gave praise and thanks to God – my provider. By the middle of August, I had filled the last position I needed. Once again God had come through – praise the name of the Lord.

I do not know all the challenges that you face in your life. I do know that there is one who can and will make a difference for you and your family if you let Him!

Thanks for reading!

No comments: