Wednesday, October 8, 2008

“Did you really mean do unto others as they do unto you, because if you did then I’m going to fix my brother.” excerpt from Children’s Letters to God

I was a bit convicted and challenged yesterday when reading one of my favorite books, My Utmost for His Highest, by Oswald Chambers. He writes, “The true test of a person’s spiritual life and character is not what he does in the extraordinary moments of life, but what he does during the ordinary times when there is nothing tremendous or exciting happening.” This was a great reminder to me that every moment has worth. Every moment is full of potential and influence…especially those moments when we are not in the spotlight, but behind the scenes, out of perceived sight, working and serving when (we think) no one is watching.

Life at times can come pretty hard and happen fast. This past week I have had to be extra careful about my response to life as it happens. A nice way of saying I have been a bit irritable. I cannot quite put my finger on it, but for some reason it has not taken much to ruffle my feathers. Some of you might wonder, “Hmmm, I’d like to see that,” or “I wonder what that looks like?” Thankfully, not many of you will ever see that side of me, and I am not so inclined to make it easy for the rest of you to find out.

We have all had days that we wished had gone differently. No one is immune to making a mistake with his/her words or actions from time to time. This does not make those times excusable, but it is what it means to be human. There was a man that scripture tells us very little about, but what it does say is truly amazing. His name was Enoch. We can read about him in the book of Genesis 5:19-24. All we know about him was that he was born, became a father, and after reaching the age of 365 and walking with God for many years, God took him. That is right, God took him, and he did not die. The Bible tells us “he was no more, because God took Him away.” Amazing! He must have truly been special. In Hebrews 11:5 we read that, it was Enoch’s faith that pleased God and so he did not have to die. Enoch was different because he walked with God. Enoch chose to place himself in an environment that influenced his behavior, his words, his character, his very being. Enoch in learning to keep in step with God was transformed by the very atmosphere of being in His presence, and so he was different. Oswald Chambers continues, “Spiritual truth is learned through the atmosphere that surrounds us, not through intellectual reasoning. It is God’s Spirit that changes the atmosphere of our way of looking at things, and then things begin to be possible which before were impossible. Getting into God’s stride means nothing less than oneness with Him.”

During these times of turmoil in our country’s economy, and the stress that this can have on families, and communities, we would do well to follow Enoch’s example of seeking to be present with God. I am encouraged that the solution to my grumpiness lies in me taking time to walk with God. If we can live in the atmosphere of Christ, the peace of Christ will surely be ours.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: