Thursday, April 17, 2008

“As we know Jesus better, his divine power gives us everything we need for living a godly life.” 2 Peter 1:3

Do you ever wonder when you will be caught up? It seems after the completion of one event that there is always another one just around the corner demanding more energy, creativity, and enthusiasm. Sometimes having events one after another is energizing. It is like a constant flow of adrenalin that pumps you up and keeps you going. Yet at other times, like a person crossing a great desert without water desperately looking for the next oasis, a busy schedule can leave you feeling drained and used up.

It is at the dry times that I try to remember a few key things. First, I remember, “I belong to Him.” I belong to God. In Ephesians 1:4-5 it says, “Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes. God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure (NLT).” What an awesome fact that God chose me...He chose you as well!

The second thing I remind myself is that “He is in control.” God is in control. Psalms 24:1 says, “The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it. The world and all its people belong to him (NLT),” and Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them (NLT).” What a wonderful promise to know. Everything is God’s and He desires to work things in such a way as not to bring harm to anyone, but so that His plan is accomplished.

The last thing I tell myself is taken from Romans 8:35-39, and can be summarized in the statement, “Nothing can separate me from His love.” This brings me great comfort in times when I am frustrated, confused, or discouraged.

I want to finish with a quote from Hudson Taylor, the great missionary to China. He said, “Many Christians estimate difficulty in the light of their own resources, and thus they attempt very little, and they always fail. All giants have been weak men who did great things for God because they reckoned on His power and His presence to be with them.” Just as King David, who said, “The battle is the Lord’s” (1 Samuel 17:47), we too need to understand that Jesus is our Source, and we can be directly connected to Him. May you know God’s peace, power, and love in your life!

I hope you find this helpful. May you find encouragement when you wait upon the Lord. Thanks for reading!

No comments: