Wednesday, January 23, 2008

“For the Lord gives wisdom and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.” Proverbs 2:6

There is no question about it; we live in the age of information! We are continually being bombarded with words, images, thoughts and ideas. Computers, cell phones, ipod’s, PDA’s, and televisions are just a few of the ways in which information is shared and conveyed. Some research done by a group at the University of California Berkeley in 2003 estimated that currently the world’s total yearly production of print, film, optical, and magnetic content would require roughly 5 exabytes of storage (the prefix exa means one billion billion). To try and understand the amount of information we are talking about would be the equivalent of 37,000 libraries the size of the Library of Congress which holds roughly 17 million books containing about 136 trillion bytes of information. Wow—that is an incredible number to think about!

The impact of information and knowledge upon our lives, however, no matter how intelligent we may be, no matter the ease with which we assimilate all data, means nothing without wisdom and understanding. What choices do I make given the facts I know? On what foundation are my values built? Where or to whom do I go to make sense out of all the jumbled bits of information that press in on me each day? How do I sort out that which I should retain and that which I should discard?

The Bible says that God alone gives wisdom. He alone makes plain the incomprehensible and sets our priorities straight. His “Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” May you find your way through the maze by first seeking His wisdom.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: